Walsh Nutrition Group, Inc. is excited to welcome Dana Roscoe, MS, RDN, in the position of Adolescent Nutrition Specialist, Registered Dietitian, and Sports Nutrition Coach.
Dana is responsible for delivering effective nutrition coaching for adolescents with a focus on sports performance and balanced eating.
She also works with children and their families on building balanced meals, creating healthy relationships with food, and implementing nutrition recommendations at home and school. If you have a picky eater, we can help you!
Dana’s experience as a group fitness instructor and former athlete has extended into the realm of sports nutrition. Her up-to-date knowledge and personal experience help empower young athletes to understand their bodies’ unique needs.
Helping with Sports Nutrition?
- Individualized meal and snack plans: determine needs for carbohydrates, fat, and protein based on age, gender, training intensity, and goals. Optimal nutrition is proven to enhance performance while suboptimal nutrition can deter performance. Game day and tailored pre-meal and snack ideas are developed.
- Timing of food to optimize performance: pre-exercise, during-exercise, and post-exercise nutrition strategies are implemented for optimized performance, muscle growth, and recovery. Handouts outlining food ideas based on the timing of performance are reviewed.
- Hydration guidelines: optimal hydration is essential for sports nutrition, performance, and recovery. Guidelines on daily fluid intake are discussed with specific goals before exercise, during exercise, and post-exercise. Hydration helps with performance while dehydration hinders it. In addition, school-age athletes can benefit from adequate hydration and focus to maintain a specific GPA to continue to participate in sports.
- Supplement guidance: evidence-based guidance on supplement use for sports nutrition optimal performance and recovery is given. Food is always the first option to meet nutrient needs and often athletes may be taking unnecessary supplements that are not impacting performance. A thorough review of supplements is provided.
- Weight management: guidance on achieving and maintaining a healthy body composition. A focus on behavior change and habits is essential for long-lasting changes.
- Travel and competition strategies: “go-to” meals and snacks for game day are essential to sports nutrition and performance. Too often when this isn’t planned out, a trip to fast food is the only option. Individualized recommendations are provided.
Helping a Picky Eater?
- Assessment: current diet, underlying issues, nutritional status, and health concerns are looked at to develop a personalized plan to improve nutrition intake.
- Education: general guidance on the role of nutrients, side effects of malnutrition, portion size, and creating a healthy relationship with food are all discussed.
- Meal and snack planning: personalized suggestions for foods that will fit with the client’s needs and allow them to thrive.
- Food exposure: gradual exposure to food can help a picky eater expand their palette.
- Texture and preparation: alternative cooking methods and food preparation are incorporated to help increase intake.
- Involve the family: a focus on the family is imperative to create a supportive environment for meal planning and prep. The family is a team supporting each other on this journey.
- Behavioral strategies: assessment of underlying behavioral issues is key to success. Management of food-related anxiety and textural issues are addressed.
- Nutrition supplements: appropriate nutrition supplements are recommended as needed when a picky eater’s intake is not meeting basic nutritional needs.
- Monitoring and support: ongoing support and encouragement are given with routine follow-ups and adjustments to meal plans for a continued variety of intake are given.
Dana’s approach to care equally emphasizes the emotional, social, and environmental factors that influence an individual’s nutrition and lifestyle choices.
Dana loves to cook and spend time with friends and family. In her free time, you will find her outside enjoying the fresh air and experiencing nature any free chance she gets.
Dana looks forward to offering individual sports nutrition. childhood nutrition training, anti-inflammatory eating, and meal planning. She is available to see clients for night appointments via telehealth. BCBS IL and self-pay are accepted.
Make your appointment today by calling 630/308-8706 or book online at https://walshnutritiongroup.com/book-an-appointment/