Easy Cauliflower “Hash Brown” Casserole
Enjoy this healthful twist on a traditional potato side dish. It’s perfect for people watching their carb content and also trying to limit calories.
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable and along with other non starchy vegetables and fruit has been shown to reduce risk for certain types of cancer.
Is cauliflower the new kale? It just might be! It’s a great alternative to hash browns as it has less calories and fewer carbs. You’ll find it as a lower-calorie substitute for starch. It’s gained recent popularity and you’ll find it in various products ranging from cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower gnocchi and cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower "Hash Brown" Casserole
Roasted cauliflower makes a smart sub for potatoes in this classic comfort food side dish.
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tbsp. olive oi
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 4 green onions, sliced, divided
- Heat oven to 425°F. Toss cauliflower with oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spread evenly on a 13x9 baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, mix yogurt, 1 cup cheese, bacon bits, butter, hot sauce and 2 Tbsp. green onions in a medium bowl. Mix into roasted cauliflower. Top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!